Saturday, September 18, 2010

Educating?

Of late I have been wondering(Ya ya... I know some of you think how jobless can she be to have time to wonder... but, that's me) , what is EDUCATION really? Once the child hits the age of 3, we push them off to the most popular play school which is then followed by a even more popular school... I'm 23 now and I keep thinking what is it that I have learned really? What have we learnt in school, in college and what part of that do we really use in our daily lives? There is so much concentration these days on how many marks, what grades, which career path a child chooses but I wonder what is the ultimate purpose of it all? Fine, let's make a assumption, let's take a child, aces in all his classes, tops his tenth boards, heads for IIT's and then makes it to the cream (IIM-A is my guess), lands himself in a job with a 6/7 digit monthly salary, fine...all's well and good... but what next? I mean what is the purpose of it all ? A job with a huge salary? Financial security? Ensuring social status? Is that all that we want for our children? I mean, have we become so materialistic that for 22-25 years all we let the child think about is the so called "education" so that he can have a rich villa house,drive a merc and shop in malls in the weekends?
Don't get me wrong, it's all very nice, I mean ya having a job with shit loads of money is awesome, but really is having a 4/5 digit salary so bad? Is travelling in second class so horrible? Is it really that unimaginable to eat at home everyday? Does taking the bus/ or going by walk to office really hamper your social status?
If you answered 'No' to any of the above then read on... okay, you are a genius, very smart and very intelligent, but is that really a requirement to live a peaceful life? I'm not saying intelligence is bad, it's good, in fact very good, but I'm just trying to say that isn't it just another asset in life. I mean, it's good if you it, but it aint the end of the world if you haven't got it. Isn't the purpose of life to be happy, to love, to share and care for another... and live a life of satisfaction and contentment.
More than marks, more than grades, more than salaries I think we should be teaching/educating them(I'm not sure how many of us have this skill) on how to live life, how to actually go through life with the proper attitude, go through life in peace.

As always readers, please comment.

PS: I know I talked a lot about children in this one, it's not like I'm going to have kids anytime soon.. :P but its because now it's too late to change how we were bought up. The damage is done in our case, so here's hoping for a better tomorrow.

3 comments:

Jyothi said...

As you said its too late in our case.... May be that is what many parents think and may be that is the reason they concentrate on education and salary because may be they went through all those tough times when it would have been much more comfortable if only they had little more money....

We miss what we don't have and they missed what they did not have.... Today may be because we don't have to worry about the hospital bill if we get sick.... to worry about the fees that has to be paid at school by the end of the month.... may be we don't really realize the value for money....

Don't get me wrong.... I am not saying money is everything.... All I am saying is we try to teach our kids what our life teaches us....

Its important for everyone to learn... but what???
Peace is important.... Happiness is important.... Human Values are important.... Education is important.... And the list continues....

May be it would have been wonderful if the child can choose at the very beginning what he/she wants.... or may be not.... may be being peaceful in those early years is also equally important....

I donno....
Jyothi.

Chandana said...

maybe bcoz in our country day to day life is a struggle for the common man.. money rules.. thats what we are taught.. everything from standing in a queue to pay a bill.. getting a seat in a good college.. applying for your driver's liscense.. all these things.. money makes them easier to achieve.. we all want kids to have a good character.. we tell them.. morals and values are important.. not money.. not grades... winning is not important but giving your best is.. we pay a broker so they get their license without any hassel.. we pay for their engineering seats.. what do they learn from this??? the sayings that we teach them or that money makes things happen..?

i was standing in dubai airport waiting for hyderabad flight and wondering.. why cant Indians stand in a single line when asked to.. why am i seeing 3 parallel lines when they clearly said one line.. We all want to reach first.. coz we know.. only then will we get our fair share.. For a European a line is a line.. he doesnt care where he stands for he knows he'll get exactly what the first guy is getting..

i think the problem is deeper than just parents pushing children for good grades and good jobs and fat pay packages and stuff..If day to day life was so easy and hassel free for us.. if things could be done they should be done.. if we dint have to struggle to get through doing normal things.. if we dint require money so badly to help us lead a comfortable life.. and to get things which we should righfully get for free or without any trouble...maybe parents would be teaching their kids different things..

maybe i strayed off the point here.. made a simple thing as education into something complicated and political.. but yea..thats my opinion...

Srinija said...

Perhaps... you guys are right, the problem is much deeper than marks and grades, I guess I was just trying to understand a problem that seems omnipresent in our country. It's true that since I got it, I'm able to question its utility, but if had a need then, I guess I wouldn't be looking at things this way...

No blame to our parents, they are awesome... I just generalised the whole thing...